Leave of Absence
Students unable to continue their studies at the University due to unavoidable circumstances may apply for a leave of absence in semester units. A Request for Leave of Absence must be submitted with official documentation, such as a doctor’s certificate, to the Student Office.
- Students are exempt from tuition during the leave.
- 5,000 yen per semester, “matriculation fee”, is required to maintain student status.15,000 yen application fee is also necessary.
- The maximum leave of absence is four consecutive semesters.
- Only students who are required to undertake military service are eligible to apply for leave of absence from school for a duration of 6 continuous semesters.
Students who wish to apply for reinstatement after a leave of absence must submit a request for reinstatement and other necessary documents to the Student Office. Application for the spring semester must be completed by February 15* and for the fall semester by August 5*.
- All international students are required to obtain a college student visa. Due to the time required to process visa applications, the deadlines for international students are earlier than those for domestic students. Application deadline for international students for reinstatement in spring semester is the last day of December and for reinstatement in fall semester is the last day of June. (If the deadline falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or public holiday, the due date will be the next office day.)
Students who must leave APU due to unavoidable circumstances should obtain permission to withdraw from the University by submitting to the Student Office a request for withdrawal along with other required documents.
Any students in the following situations will also be subject to withdrawal:
- Failure to pay the total tuition by the deadline.
- Failure to take appropriate procedures to report changes of student status.
- Failure to take appropriate procedures by the deadline when returning to APU after studying abroad, applying for reinstatement, or transferring within APU.
- Students subject to disciplinary measure.
Students can request to be readmitted within three years after the last day of the semester in which the student withdrew once necessary documents are submitted and approved. Credits obtained before withdrawal will remain. A request for readmission and a 10,000 yen application fee must be submitted to the Student Office along with a 13,000 yen readmission fee if accepted for readmission. Students accepted for readmission must pay one semester’s tuition in full before being admitted. Please note that students expelled from the University cannot be readmitted.
- GSAD students should refer to “Options for Students Unable to Complete their Program Within 3 Years” for information on enrollment extension, withdrawal, and leave of absence. Applications must be submitted by the appropriate deadline each relevant semester.
|Type of Application||Contact / Place to Apply|
|Leave of Absence||Student Office|
In line with University Regulations, a student is subject to expulsion in the following circumstances:
- Duration of study exceeds 4 years for GSAM / GSM or 6 years for GSAD.
- Dual enrollment: students registered at two or more universities, colleges, and / or departments at the same time.
- Students missing for over 3 months.
- Students deceased.
Deadlines and Fees for Change in Student Status
For further reference, please contact the Student Office.
|Change in Student Status||Notification Deadline||Remarks**|
|Spring Semester||Fall Semester|
|Leave of Absence (LOA)||February 15||August 5||1. Application fee: 15,000 yen
2. Matriculation fee of 5,000 yen per semester
|Reinstatement||Last day of December*||Last day of June*||NONE|
|Readmission||Last day of December*||Last day of June*||
1. Application fee: 10,000 yen (at the time of application)
2. Readmission fee: 13,000 yen (if accepted for readmission)
3. Tuition fee: One semester’s tuition in full (if accepted for readmission)
- 1. All international students are required to obtain a college student visa. Due to the time required to process visa applications, the deadlines for international students are earlier than those for domestic students. Application deadline for domestic students for reinstatement in spring semester is February15 and for reinstatement in fall semester is August 5.
2. Application fees, matriculation fees, readmission fees, and any other student status fees will not be refunded under any circumstances. All fees are subject to change. Please contact the Student Office for more detailed information.
(extracted from the Campus Life Handbook)