Basic Requirements for Completion
Students will be qualiﬁed for the degree upon completion of the following requirements:
- Period of Enrollment: In principle, a student must be enrolled as a regular, full-time student in the Master’s Program for 2 years. However, the degree may also be granted to outstanding students in less than 2 years. In this case, the minimum period of full-time enrollment is 1 year*. Those interested in completing in (1 or 1.5 years) should consult with a supervisor upon entry to the Graduate School.
* IMAT program students are under 2-year enrollment due to program regulations.
- Credit Requirements: Students are required to earn 32 credits or more which must include 4 credits from Analytical Foundation Subjects, 4 credits from Core Subjects on the Asia Paciﬁc Region, 4 credits from Seminars and 10 credits from Major Subjects to complete the program.
- Master’s Thesis and Research Report Requirements: All students must complete an extended piece of writing, which presents the ﬁndings and conclusions of their individual research. Students from both majors, APS and ICP, must complete either a Master’s Thesis or a Research Report which must be approved in accordance with the University’s examination procedures. For further details on requirements and examination procedures, see the information in the Master’s Thesis and Research Report page.
Credit Requirements for Completion
Students must acquire at least 32 credits for program completion. In addition to the designated minimum number of credits from Analytical Foundation Subjects (4 credits), Core Subjects on the Asia Paciﬁc Region (4 credits), Seminars (4 credits) and Major Subjects within the afﬁliated Division (10 credits), students must complete at least 10 additional credits from any of the subject categories listed below. Please check the GSAM Subject List below for the category in which each class falls (i.e. Major Subject, Seminar Subject, etc.).
|Subject Category||Minimum Required Credits||Subject Name||Credit Rules|
|Analytical Foundation Subjects||4||
|Core Subjects on the Asia Paciﬁc||4||
||Any credits earned from Core Subjects on the Asia Pacific Region exceeding the minimum required credits of 4 will count towards the credits required for program completion.|
|Seminars||4||2||Research Project||The minimum required 4 credits include 2 credits from Final Research Project. Any credits earned from Seminars exceeding the minimum requirement of 4 credits will count towards the credits required for program completion.|
|2||Final Research Project|
|Major Subjects||10||10||Major Subjects 1||Students must complete at least 10 credits from Major Subjects from their afﬁliated Division.|
|-||Major Subjects 2||Any credits earned from APS / ICP Major Subjects outside the student’s afﬁliated Division; these credits will count towards the credits required for program completion.|
|Core Related Subjects||-||
||Credits earned from Core Related Subjects will count towards the credits required for program completion.|
Credit Registration Limits
GSAM Model Registration – it is recommended that students register for courses as shown below.
|Maximum Credit Limits||2-year Standard Completion||1.5-year Accelerated Completion||1-year Completion|
- 1. Students will not be penalized or charged extra fees for earning more than 32 credits.
- 2. Upon acquisition of 32 credits and the fulfillment of all graduation requirements, students will be awarded a Master’s degree. Students may not register for additional subjects after completing all graduation requirements.
Subjects in the Graduate School of Asia Pacific Studies, Master’s Program
The list of subjects offered in the Graduate School of Asia Pacific Studies, Master’s program, as well as the subject codes list are available on the links below.
Recommended Elective Subjects refer to a combination of subjects outside the Major Subjects for the student’s afﬁliated Division designed to deepen students’ knowledge in their respective research ﬁeld.